Fall session dates coming soon!
Be the first to know.
Have you ever wanted to stop time? Hold a moment in your hands? Capture a slice of your life and turn into a treasure? In the Slice of Life Project, you will dig beneath the surface of your everyday life with your trusty camera by your side and unearth the beauty that has been there all along.
The Slice of Life approach to photography is a way of seeing, noticing, and appreciating the nuances and details that make your life special. It’s a way of embracing and honoring the imperfections in yourself, your loved ones, your messy kitchen, and cluttered shelves. It’s about saying that your life is just right the way it is.
This workshop will not require the perfect camera or fancy lenses or knowledge of ISO, aperture, or shutter speed. It won’t even require you to get out of your pajamas or make your bed! It will only require you to show up with a camera (ANY camera), an open mind, and a creative spirit.
“Slice Of Life opened my eyes to a lot of things. It changed the way I look at things, and because of that I find myself feeling happy about the smallest of things and at the most unexpected moments.” ~ Bhupali
You will learn:
- practical, tangible ways to take artful photos of your life.
- tools for seeing, observing, and celebrating your life, home, and loved ones – just the way they are.
- how to tell a story (YOUR story) with your photos.
- how to see the details in your life in ways that will not only enhance your photos, but make the process of taking photos more enjoyable.
- how to harness the power of your camera and use natural light, composition, and your unique point of view to get the shots you want.
- how to capture meaningful photos even when your children are squirmy and can’t sit still, you have dinner on the stove, laundry to fold, and a to-do list a mile long.
- how to sort through the photos you take, organize them, and select the best ones to share so they actually see the light of day!
The course includes:
- twice-weekly posts on the private class website with photography tips and inspiration.
- weekly photo assignments, focusing on an aspect of Slice of Life photography.
- personal video messages from me and a behind-the-scenes video of me on a Slice of Life photo shoot. I’ll share my process moment by moment and you’ll watch as I put the Slice of Life approach into action.
- interaction with me and your fellow students in a private Flickr group where you will be able to share your weekly assignment photos, ask questions, share ideas, and hang out with some pretty cool peeps!
- a PDF to download with tips on what, where, and how to take great photos and a list of fantastic resources for technical and creative inspiration.
“I have searched for my creativity and I think I have found it. Taking photos of simple ordinary moments helps me to express my thoughts, my hopes, my gratitude, my passion. It helps me to reconnect to me…”
What this course is not:
- It is not a photography class with lots of technical mumbo-jumbo.
- It is not a class that will teach you how to be a professional photographer.
- It is not a place where we will critique photos or mud sling.
What this course IS:
- A warm, cozy place to visit and share with a creative community who share a love of photography.
- A place to reflect on our everyday lives and share the things that inspire us.
- A course that will help you sink deeper into your life, your home, and your family, and find the beauty in your life – just the way it is.
Winter 2012 session:
February 6 to March 12, 2012 (6 weeks) SOLD OUT!
Spring 2012 session:
April 2 to May 7 (6 weeks) SOLD OUT!
Summer 2012 session:
July 2 to August 9 (6 weeks) SOLD OUT!
Fall 2012 session: Dates TBA - Sign up for my newsletter if you’d like to be the first to know when registration opens and to be included in exclusive specials for newsletter subscribers.
Fee: $99 (USD)
“The Slice of Life Project not only showed me a different way to find & photograph the beauty in my life but it enriched my life as a whole.” ~ Amanda, Kind Over Matter
Future session info:
I will be running more sessions of the Slice of Life Project throughout 2012. Sign up for my newsletter if you’d like to be the first to know when registration opens and to be included in exclusive specials for newsletter subscribers.