With the new year off to a great start, I’m overflowing with new ideas. As I mentioned in my December Views Recap, sharing my slice of life photos only on Slice of Life Tuesdays was not enough for this slice-of-life-photo-obsessed gal! Ever since I started taking pictures, I’ve seen the world from a different perspective. Photographing slices of my life has made me more aware. More appreciative. Even in my most stressful weeks, documenting the world around me has shown me the beauty and complexity in the seemingly mundane.
I am so excited about taking photos of the world around me that I want you (yes, YOU) to experience the joy, as well! So I cooked up a little plan – a way for us to share glimpses of our lives with each other.
Every Tuesday, I will post a Slice of Life photo and a prompt here – a word or phrase that will inspire you throughout the week. I will also post the prompt on my brand-spanking-new Flickr group. Then, as the week progresses, you can either respond to the prompt by posting the photo in the Slice of Life Flickr group or posting a link to your blog in the comments below. Perhaps you are participating in the Shutter Sisters 365 group or another daily photo group. If so, the Slice of Life group will be a great compliment to your daily photos and the weekly prompts will provide inspiration as you photograph your way through the year!
How to Get Started
- If you don’t already have a Flickr account, pop on over to Flickr and join. It’s really simple to join and upload photos.
- Join the Slice of Life Flickr group.
- Check here every Tuesday, subscribe to my blog, or follow me on Twitter to get your weekly Slice of Life prompt.
- Carry your camera with you. If you don’t have a camera, feel free to use the camera on your phone. Some of my favorite photos were taken on my iPhone!
- Keeping the weekly prompt in mind, photograph the small details that are often overlooked and under-appreciated.
- Don’t wait for the “right” conditions! Photographs should be taken during your daily routines. Don’t worry about photographing only “pretty” things. Take photos of YOUR life as it is RIGHT NOW. Photograph your laundry, your dinner, your dog. Just photograph!
- Post those photos! There’s no limit on how many you can post. Please include the weekly prompt word or phrase in the title or description of the photo and if you’re using Flickr, tag each photo you submit to the group with “slice of life”. Feel free to describe the scene or how it relates to the weekly prompt – or just let the photo speak for itself.
Your First Prompt: NEW BEGINNINGS
The above photo was taken in my dining room. Yesterday, I bundled up several photos that some friends of mine on Twitter won a few weeks ago. These are the very first photos that are going out into the world that will be seen by people other than my family. They represent a new start. A new year. New beginnings.
It’s Your Turn!
What does “new beginnings” mean to you? What are you starting this week? Post your photos in the Slice of Life Flickr group or in the comments below. I can’t wait to see your slices of life! And I thank you in advance for allowing us a peek into your life.
**Stay tuned for other Slice of Life related posts, including a “Slice of Inspiration” post every Friday which will include juicy goodness that inspired me that week!